Bridge Works - BELOW Club Site.

Anything to do with the club or canoeing
Andy B
Committee Member

Bridge Works - BELOW Club Site.

Postby Andy B » 9:09 pm, 4th April, 2012

Steve sent me a picture of the bridge works just below the collapsed weir, about a half mile down stream of MCC.

Looks like a temporary crossing has been put in, so they can gain access to both banks before the main construction begins.
At low levels it doesn't look like a problem - just portage before whats left of the weir. It will be more of an issue if the Goyt rises, which is likely over the next week or so, although I wonder if it would survive a good level.

On the other hand, it could create a nice play wave. I'll have a walk down tomorrow to see how it looks with more water.
Collapsed Weir.jpg
Collapsed Weir.jpg (241.53 KiB) Viewed 7196 times

madman iaink
Grade V Poster

Re: Bridge Works - BELOW Club Site.

Postby madman iaink » 7:19 pm, 5th April, 2012

anyone know wat this is for is it for a new bridge to be built or for a repair to the weir?
I only smile because everyone around me has driven me mad!

MissFish
Grade II Poster

Postby MissFish » 9:43 pm, 5th April, 2012

It is a lottery finded project about connecting communities because there is no bridge between the aquaduct and otterspool so it was needed, it is also part of bridleway works that Stockport are doing which run through the woods beneath marple hall through to dale farm by the looks of it. I think they have a great opportunity to create a great feature here for us kayakers at the broken weir, but well see, maybe inadvertantly.

MissFish
Grade II Poster

Postby MissFish » 3:59 pm, 9th April, 2012

Went down today and in answer to question Andy it doesn't make a good playwave at least at todays levels, more like
a series of exploding waves (you know the ones that are just messy). There was no glassiness that I could see to surf on but it now looks runnable river left if you avoid the wood stakes in the centre.